Monday, June 16, 2008

Mediocre Minds

I have a poster over my desk that has a huge photo of Einstein. The caption reads: "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds...." I keep this in front of me to help me deal with some of the small minded folk who happen into the shop from time to time.
Today has been one of those all-too-slow days where I wonder if I will be able to pay the rent this month, not to mention all the other expenses of a brick and mortar business. This afternoon, a woman came in inquiring about matcha, the green tea used in the Japanese Tea Ceremony. "We have it!", I declared, "A very nice quality matcha, too." I showed her the small gold tin.
Now, I pride myself in the well rounded-ness and high quality of our tea collection. Not all teas are created equal. Not all vendors carry good tea. I taste hundreds of teas from various vendors. I'm one of those picky people I'm sure would be classified as OCD (obcessive compulsive disorder) by any competent psychologist. "OCD and proud of it!", I'll jokingly say to my friends.
The woman looked at the tin and said, "Don't you have any in the black tin?" I explained that this is our own brand of tea, and about my concern for quality. She said that she really wanted the one in the black tin and she was going to see if she could find that first, and if she couldn't find it, she'd be back to get this one.
I thought, If she waits too long, I might not be here. Which is only my own fear rearing its ugly head, but I'm sure I'm the only shop within hundreds of miles that carries this quality (if any) matcha. And if people don't support their local businesses, they will disappear. And this world will be a much more boring place, in this tealady's oppinion.
Stepping off my soap box now.

4 comments:

Gone said...

Hi Elaine,

I agree with you about supporting local people in the businesses. My husband and I are so glad that we found your tea shop. We've got quite a few of your teas and have purchased a number of other items as we've stopped in and shopped.

Several months ago, I hosted a Tea Party/Baby Shower for my step-daughter. I got out all of my Old Country Roses Tea Cups, Saucers and Dessert Plates, along with all the pretty serving platters and fine linens and served your tea and all of my home-baked goodies. It was wonderful!

We'll be in again.

~Blessings,
Jan

Marye said...

Just happened on your blog. I feel for you. Husband and I ran a tea/coffee shop in a historic area of a small town.
It was funwhile it lasted but you know the people basically were interested in....cheap grocery store coffees and teas.
i am praying for your success.
Marye
Kettleandcup.com

Marilyn Miller said...

Elaine,

Visit www.heartsdelights.blogspot.com to see that you are included in my blog today. Tag you are it.

Marilyn

Alice said...

I certainly agree. I'd hate to think of having to buy my tea at Wal-mart.